At Least 25 Killed In Saudi-Backed Airstrike In A Yemeni Market
Saudi Arabia’s airstrike has struck a market in southwestern Yemen killing at least 25 while the death toll from bombings in the last 48 hours rises to more than 70.

Sources told Al Jazeera that a number of children had also been killed in a series of Saudi-led air raids and Tuesday’s strike in the western province of Taiz wounded at least 30 other civilians. Taiz has been a key battleground in the country’s devastating civil war.

Witnesses, who asked to remain anonymous because they had not been authorised to speak to media, said that body parts were thrown hundreds of metres from the blast sites.

The Saudi-led war on Yemen had been ongoing for more than 1,000 days and the humanitarian crisis is ongoing, with nearly 7 million people facing starvation.

Read More: Twelve Women Killed By Saudi Airstrike On Yemenis Wedding Ceremony

The Saudi’s coalition has been waging an air campaign against Yemeni Forces since March 2015 in an attempt to shore up the government of Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi.

More than 10,000 people have been killed in the conflict since the coalition’s intervention in the war-torn country and more than 2,000 people have also died of cholera so far this year.

The UN envoy to Yemen announced on Tuesday that, starting on Sunday, a team from his office had visited both Aden, the temporary capital, and Sanaa which is the main target of the Saudi-led military airstrikes.

“We are hopeful that the UN mission could set the ground for an agreement on the inspection process of goods and relief material that should be coming into Hudaydah port, in order to secure a Saudi commitment to the opening of the port to allow for the necessary foods and medicines to come in.” a European diplomat working on Yemen said.

“The Saudis would not want to admit defeat in Yemen, so they would fight a bit harder, at least for now.” She added.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

90 − = 82