Red Cross: Saudi Arabia’s Blockade Deprives 2.5 Million Yemenis Of Accessing Clean Water

On Monday, the Red Cross has warned that 2.5 Million Yemenis lack access to clean water due to the blockade by a Saudi-led coalition which has cut off supplies to vulnerable Yemenis.

The International Committee of the Red Cross said that the capital Sanaa and al-Bayda have joined the list of Yemen cities without clean water.

The Saudi-led coalition has cut off supplies of fuel for pumping, so 2.5 million Yemenis in crowded cities are deprived of clean water. ICRC spokeswoman Iolanda Jaquemet said that it is putting Yemenis at risk of another major outbreak of water-borne disease.

Read More: Saudi Arabia’s attacks on Yemen have created an unmitigated disaster

According to Jaquemet, cholera, a water-borne disease, has infected more than 940,768 Yemenis including children and has killed at least 2,200.

On Nov. 6 following the interception of a missile fired towards the Saudi capital, the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen on behalf of president Abdrabu Mansur Hadi’s government closed all air, land and sea access to Yemen which led to the largest famine the world has seen in decades. Some 7 million people are already on the brink of famine.

The Red Cross reported that some 20 kidney patients requiring dialysis having died over the last weeks “due to the non-availability of treatment,”.

Recently, Alistair Burt, the Minister for the Middle East, said Yemen had already been facing “the worst humanitarian crisis in the world and largest ever cholera outbreak” before the recent restrictions on supplies.

The devastating conflict has left children and families in urgent need of food, water and medical supplies. More than 400,000 children are in need of urgent life-saving food.

Sending
User Review
0 (0 votes)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

− 1 = 1