United States And Saudi Arabia Are Directing Unknown Troublemakers In Basra

Iran’s Foreign Ministry has condemned “irresponsible” and “astonishing” White House’s statement that blamed Iran for attacks on US diplomatic missions during the recent unrest in the Iraqi city of Basra.

Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Ghasemi said the US attempts to shift the blame onto other countries would not wipe out its “destructive” role in Iraq and called for maximum punishment for assailants of Iranian consulate in Basra.

Last week, the White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement that Tehran-backed forces in Iraq had carried out “life-threatening attacks” against US facilities in Basra.

“The United States will hold the regime in Tehran accountable for any attack that results in injury to our personnel or damage to United States Government facilities. America will respond swiftly and decisively in defense of American lives,” the statement read.

Ghasemi shots back, calling the statement “shocking, provocative, and irresponsible,”, ISNA reported.

“The policies of this country in Iraq have resulted in nothing but instability and destabilization,” Ghasemi said. “the recent turmoil in Iraq, including the attack on Iran’s consulate building in Basra and burning its flag resulted from such policies.”

He condemned the “agitated attack”, saying it had caused “considerable material damage”.

Ghasemi also said the US support for “groups that have spread and promoted violence and extremism,” has caused such unrest in the country.

He blamed secret hands trying to “ruin the friendly relations between Iran and Iraq”, noting that the Iraqi government officials had already been warned and informed about the threats, so the responsibility of security forces negligence is “burdened upon the Iraqi government,”

As some see the hand of the US and its ally Saudi Arabia behind the Saturday morning attack on the Iranian consulate in Basra, deputy head of the Iraqi Popular Mobilization Committee, Hashd al-Sha’abi also announced it has evidence that shows the US diplomatic missions in the Arab country had instigated the violence in Basra.

Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis said that there is enough evidence, including images and documents which reveal who was responsible for demolition and burning of Hashd Al-Sha’abi and other institutions, including the Iranian Consulate.

According to statements by some officials, the alleged “infiltrators” and a US-Saudi plot are directing the protesters in Basra.

“The US consulate [staying] in Basra poses a threat to the security and sovereignty of the country and, therefore, we are working hard to get the American forces out,” Intisar Hassan al-Musawi, a member of parliament belonging to the Fateh Alliance said in a statement.

According to the Kurdish NRT channel, Musawi said the fourth parliamentary session will “see actions to remove US forces from Iraq and [reduce] the number of employees working at the embassy and consulate.”

The oil-rich southern province of Basra has been the scene of protests over the lack of basic services in the city, including jobs, electricity and safe drinking water, with hundreds taken to hospital after drinking contaminated water. At least 15 protesters have been killed so far and more than 200 injured.

Sending
User Review
0 (0 votes)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

+ 77 = 87